Medical Assisting Admission Requirements
Admission Requirements for Medical Assisting (Certificate)
- If you have never attended Carl Sandburg College, complete an application for general admission to the College, http://www.sandburg.edu/admissions/steps-enroll and, if desired, apply for financial aid.
- Submit an official high school transcript showing graduation date or copy of GED score report and any appropriate post-secondary educational institutions.
- Schedule an appointment with the advisor for the Medical Assisting program.
Complete the following courses with a “C” or better:
• Medical Terminology - MDT.100
• Anatomy & Physiology Fundamentals - BIO.111
• Tech Skills for Business Environment - BOC.107
- Complete the TEAS AH exam (formerly named HOBET).
- Complete an application for admission to the Medical Assisting program. Applications are available from the program advisor.
Students interested in this program may complete HTH.130 (First Aid/CPR) before going through the application process.
Admission is competitive. Only the most qualified applicants are admitted. Applications will be accepted February 1 until the June 1 deadline for the August start date. If necessary, additional review dates may be scheduled. Applicants will be notified in writing within two weeks of the deadline of admission status.
This program requires a criminal background check, health evaluation including proof of immunity, 10-panel drug screen and CPR certification. Findings on the criminal background check may void the conditional admission and prevent entrance to the program. Findings on the health evaluation and drug screen may prevent placement at the clinical site. Details for these requirements are presented at the mandatory meeting held prior to the start of the program.