How to Apply for Foundation Scholarships:
1. Log on to the STARS Scholarship Application website (http://stars.sandburg.edu/stars) and complete the student profile and questionnaire. The responses provided will help the process sort through the scholarships and show only those that apply to the criteria provided in the profile and questionnaire. Scholarship information is provided with each scholarship on the website, as well as on the Foundation Scholarships webpage.
New Students: Students who are new to the STARS application process (i.e. have never applied for scholarships on STARS), click the "Start Here" button to create a username and password. Please note: STARS also requires a Sandburg Student ID# which is provided when a student applies to the college. Students who do not have a Sandburg Student ID# will need to submit an application to Sandburg or contact the Sandburg Registrar's Office at 309.341.5260
Returning Students: Students who are returning to the STARS application process simply log in to the website with the username and password they previously created. If you have forgotten your username and/or password, please contact the Foundation Office at 309.341.5349.
Note: Paper applications are no longer accepted by the Foundation except when specified in scholarship requirements*. All students wishing to apply for scholarships must use the STARS Scholarship Application website and submit applications electronically.
Each scholarship requires a separate application, however the website saves the provided information in the student profile and questionnaire and automatically generates applications for the scholarships being applied for—making applying for multiple scholarships much more simple and straightforward.
The STARS Scholarship Application website will be open starting December 1st and will close March 1st. Applications submitted after March 1st will not be accepted.
All Foundation scholarships are awarded for the following academic year (i.e. if current academic year is 2011-2012, scholarships will be awarded for the 2012-2013 academic year). Awarded scholarships are contingent on the student enrolling and attending Carl Sandburg College in the following Fall/Spring semesters.
2. As of December 2011 copies of transcripts are not required to be attached to the student profile on the STARS Scholarship Application website.
Note: Carl Sandburg College requires transcripts to be provided when a student applies to the College for enrollment. If you have not submitted your transcripts to the registrar's office, please read below to learn which transcripts you will need to submit:
High School: If you have graduated from high school within the past five years, provide an official high school transcript to the registrar's office. (Transcripts must be obtained from the high school.) If you graduated five years ago or more, no high school transcript is required.
Transfer Student/Attended Other College: If you transferred to Sandburg from another college or university or you have attended another college prior to Sandburg, your college academic transcripts must be sent to the registrar's office.
GED/Alternate High School Diploma:If you have completed a GED or received a high school diploma from an alternative program, proof of completion must be provided to the registrar's office.
3. Answer the brief essay questions required for all scholarships on the website. Students only need to answer these essays once as the process will attach them to each scholarship applied for. Responses should outline educational goals and why the scholarship is deserved. (If a student must meet specific criteria to be eligible for a scholarship, please include this information in the essay.)
4. Check to make sure that all required information has been submitted on the appropriate from for each scholarship being applied for. Students may save and exit the process at any time and return later to finish or update their information before March 1st.
5. All required information must be received on the STARS Scholarship Application website and/or in the Foundation Office on March 1, unless otherwise specified.
6. For questions or more information, please contact the Foundation Office at 309.341.5349 or by email.
*Scholarships that require a special application can be found on the Special Scholarship Application webpage. Special scholarship applications should be mailed or personally delivered to:
Carl Sandburg College Foundation
2400 Tom L. Wilson Blvd.
Galesburg, IL 61401