Galesburg Promise is built on the belief that education is the key to regional vitality and economic development. The City of Galesburg established and funds this grant. The purpose of the grant is to provide an incentive for students to graduate from high school and provide an opportunity for a post-secondary education to increase the pool of college graduates who can be gainfully employed in Galesburg and the surrounding area.
Galesburg Promise will pay up to 16 credits of tuition (excludes fees) per semester, according to an arranged percentage based on the number of years of attendance in Galesburg Distict #205 to allow the funds to help as many students as possible. This is a last-dollar grant. Therefore, the student must apply for federal and state financial aid as well as other scholarships by the established deadlines in order to be considered for Galesburg Promise funding. All scholarships and grants are applied first toward tuition and then the Galesburg Promise will pick up the remainder of tuition after all other financial aid.
- Graduate from Galesburg District 205
- Submit Initial Application for the scholarship the year your graduate or the following year
- Limited to 64 credits paid under the award
- Enroll in a post-secondary education program that will result in a degree or certificate from Carl Sandburg College
- Complete the application process each year as outlined below
Apply for the Galesburg Promise each year. Application Dates: October 1 to March 15.
RECOMMENDED DEADLINE JUNE 1, 2017
- Apply to Sandburg at Application for Admissions
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.gov to apply for both federal and state financial aid. Carl Sandburg College's code is 007265. *New, the FAFSA application period has changed. Students will begin applying October 1, 2016 for 2017-18 financial aid and will report income from 2015.
- Apply for Galesburg Promise: mySANDBURG, Student Apps, Scholarship Applications.
- Apply for Foundation Scholarships or two outside scholarships not listed above
- If applying for outside scholarships, submit copies of email confirmation or award notices to document you have applied.
- Foundation Scholarship application dates are December to March 15 - Foundation Scholarships.
- Submit official high school transcripts (7th semester accepted for awarding)
- Send to Carl Sandburg College, Attn: Admissions, 2400 Tom L Wilson Blvd, Galesburg, Il 61401.
- Submit financial aid required documents
- Galesburg Promise: mySANDBURG, Student Apps, Scholarship Applications
- Maintain a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA and successfully complete 67% of your cumulative hours enrolled. If your GPA or completion rate falls below the requirements, your award will not be applied to charges.
- Enroll in a minimum of 9 credit hours (excluding summer)
- Reapply annually
Frequently Asked Questions
Do all students receive the same financial benefit?
No. The benefit is prorated based on the student’s length of attendance at Galesburg District #205 using the following scale:
13 grades (K-12)…......100%
Fewer than 3 grades..0%
The length of attendance is the total of full grades a student completed in public school while living in the #205 School District as verified through school records. The percentage is the amount of tuition reduction that will be applied to the student’s account, up to a maximum of 16 hours each semester.
The Galesburg Promise Scholarship Application process is open from October 1st until March 15 of each academic year, allowing students to apply for scholarships to be awarded the following academic year.
What if I am not covered for a 100% attendance benefit?
You are responsible for fees, books and the percent of tuition not covered by Galesburg Promise. To make arrangements for payment, please contact the Business Office at 309.341.5210. For example, if you have completed 9 grades, your Galesburg Promise would cover 80% of tuition. The student will pay any fees shown on the student statement plus 20% of the tuition charged. Scholarships or grants awarded to the student will reduce the Galesburg Promise to allow funding to remain available for future generations.
Tuition $2000, Fees $175, Outside Scholarship $500, Galesburg Promise 80% Award
Student pays all fees
|Scholarship and other Aid||-$500|
|Galesburg Promise||-$1100||$2000 x 80% = 1600 less $500 other aid|
|Balance Due||$575||Student Amount Due|
How long am I eligible to receive Galesburg Promise?
Your first application for the Galesburg Promise Scholarship is due by March 15th of the year you graduate from High School or the year following high school graduation. Once you are accepted as a Galesburg Promise recipient, you may apply annually for a total of three years of funding toward a degree or certificate for a maximum of 64 hours or whichever comes first.
Is a new Galesburg Promise application required every year?
Yes. Each year you must complete the Galesburg Promise application and Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by the established deadline.
Does the Galesburg Promise cover the cost of books and fees?
No. The Galesburg Promise is applied to tuition and the student is responsible for fees and book costs.
Do I have to be a full-time student in order to receive Galesburg Promise?
No. Fall and Spring semesters, minimum enrollment is 9 credit hours. Galesburg Promise will pay for a maximum of 16 hours each semester. The minimum enrollment requirement does not apply to Summer semester.
What if I decide not to attend after I have signed up for classes?
If you decide not to attend after signing up for classes, you must officially drop your classes before the refund date. Refund dates vary based on the class. You can find the refund date for each course on the class schedule. If you fail to withdraw before the refund date, you may be held financially obligated for the cost of the classes.
Will Galesburg Promise cover tuition for dual credit courses?
No. Students must have graduated from Galesburg High School. Grades from high school dual credit courses are counted in your college grade point average when being reviewed for Galesburg Promise.
Will summer classes be covered by Galesburg Promise?
Yes. However, students must attend the previous spring semester in the Promise Program in order to qualify for summer session funds.
How is the funding for the scholarship administered?
Awards are made on a first-come, first-served basis upon completions of the Galesburg Promise Steps to Apply outlined above..
For further information concerning scholarships, contact the Foundation Office at 309.341.5349 or by e-mail.