Program Information

Sandburg offers support to our district’s high school partners for compliance with the transitional math initiative. Under the Postsecondary Readiness and Workforce Act, high schools in Illinois must assess their students' college readiness in math during their junior year. If a student doesn't meet the minimum standards of college readiness, they can enroll in a transitional math course their senior year. By passing this course, students are guaranteed a place into a college-level math class at all Illinois community colleges and accepting universities.

Transitional math grant

Sandburg was awarded a Transitional Math Instruction grant and an Innovative Bridge and Transitional program grant to support our district’s high school partners with the implementation of Transitional Math.
Sandburg is hosting workshops, conducted by Kathleen Almy, a consultant for Almy Educational Consulting. Ms. Almy will provide professional development and support for high school teachers to assist with the implementation of transitional math under the Postsecondary and Workforce Readiness Act’s requirements. 
The virtual workshops will include the following components:

  • Overview of the PWR Act’s key components to increase understanding of it
  • Discussion of curriculum, pedagogy and assessment
  • Facilitated work time with teachers on compliance requirements
  • Facilitation of instructional activities to develop an understanding of transitional math courses

Workshop dates

Future dates are to be determined. If you are interested in attending a workshop, contact Tony Paris.

By simply submitting an invoice to us, we will reimburse the school district for:

  • Travel expenses to attend in-person workshop. We will reimburse mileage at the federal rate of 57.5 cents per mile.
  • The cost of the substitute teacher to cover the math teacher’s classes for the day.
  • Curriculum development costs.
  • We will provide breakfast and lunch for the participants for in-person workshops.

To sign up for a workshop, please contact Tony Paris.