many flags hanging in a hallway.

Steps to Enroll for New International Students

Below you will find our steps to enroll for new international students. If you have any questions about your next steps, please contact the Welcome Center at 309.345.3500 or

Step 1: Submit an Application

Application Information
  • Complete and submit a free online application.
    • Once your application is received, you will be provided with an updated admission decision within 2-3 business days.
    • In order to view your checklists, which provide your next steps, you will be required to accept your offer of admission.
    • Additional entry requirements may be required for Limited Enrollment Programs.

Tips for filling out online application:

  • International Supplement Section:
    • Select "Yes" when asked if you currently have or plan to have a valid passport from another country prior to enrollment and/or will you be in need of a student visa.
  • Academic History Section:
    • Home schooled means that you were educated at home instead of attending school. If you attended school, select "No" when asked if you were home schooled during high school.
    • The GED is a high school equivalency exam that is typically administered in the United States and Canada. If you did not take the GED, enter "No" when asked if you received a GED.
  • Academic Institutions Section:
    • Enter "990000" as your Institution and click on "International School" when it appears.
    • You do not need to edit the CEEB, Country, City, or State to match your high school/college/university's address.

If you have any questions or problems with our online application, contact the Welcome Center, 309.345.3500,

Step 2: Request an I-20

Required Documents
International students requesting admission and issuance of a Form I-20 must submit:
  • Proof of high school graduation: An official transcript and diploma/certificate that provides evidence of graduation from a secondary school. All documents not in English must be submitted with English translations.
  • Proof of English Proficiency - Students whose native language is NOT English are required to submit one of the following:
    • TOEFL IBT minimum score of 68. 
    • IELTS minimum score of 6.5
    • Official SAT score with an Evidence-Based Reading and Writing sub-score of 480 or higher  
    • Official transcripts from an accredited United States college or university showing successful completion (grade of C or higher) of a college-level writing course and 6 hours of college-level academic course work required reading.
  •  Certification of Finances Form verifying your ability to meet all educational and living expenses for one year while attending Carl Sandburg College.
    International Students do not qualify for in-state tuition or federal financial aid.
  • ​​​​​​​Bank statement dated within 90 days showing a minimum of $21,000 (USD). 
  • Photocopy of a current passport

Where to Send Documents

Documents can be sent via email to
Scanned copies of original documents must be clear and in color. Scanned documents will only be used for admissions purposes.
Official test scores must be sent by the testing agency to Carl Sandburg College using school code 1982.

Step 3: Provide Course Placement Documentation

Course Placement Information

Carl Sandburg College wants you to be successful in your course work. Your placement test scores will ensure the proper placement into appropriate courses for your skill level.  

Accuplacer Placement Test

The Accuplacer placement test is required for new students. This untimed assessment test covers reading and math and will determine the level of classes you may begin.

  • You can sit for placement testing (Accuplacer) once you arrive on campus. You may also schedule a virtual test after your visa has been granted. 
  • There is no charge to take the Accuplacer placement test (up to 2 attempts).
  • Test results are valid for 5 years. 
It is very important that students do their best work on the placement test so that they are placed appropriately in courses where they can succeed and make progress. Time spent in developmental courses will delay enrollment into college level courses. It is highly recommended that students prepare for the placement test. 

Submit Official SAT scores (OPTIONAL)

If you wish to use your SAT test scores instead of taking the placement test, you will need to have your official test results sent to Carl Sandburg College directly from College Board using school code 1982. SAT test must have been taken within 5 years of admissions. 

The minimum SAT scores needed for class placement are:

  • Evidence-Based Reading and Writing Sub-Score of 480 or higher
  • Mathematics Sub-Score of 530 or higher

You can visit our Placement Testing page for additional information. 

Submit Official US College Transcripts (if applicable)

If you’ve completed college level English and math courses with a grade of “C” or higher at a US college or university, have your official transcripts sent to Carl Sandburg College for class placement. Official ttranscripts can be sent to College credit will not be granted from an unofficial transcript.

Step 4: Register for Classes

Register for Classes

After you receive your student visa and complete placement testing you will be ready to register for classes. An academic advisor will guide you to make sure you are registered in the right classes for your degree.