How to Transfer

There is more than one way to transfer. Choose the transfer option that fits you best. It is ideal to work closely with your academic advisor so they can help you explore majors and admission requirements. 

Earn an Associates Degree

Complete an associate degree and arrive at your transfer school prepared for junior-level coursework. Advisors can help you select courses that meet the requirements for your major at your transfer school.

If you are a few courses short of your associate degree before your transferred from Sandburg, please see the Reverse Transfer section below.  

Complete the IAI General Education Core Curriculum

If you don't plan to remain at Sandburg long enough to complete an associate degree, you can consider completing the Illinois Articulation Initiative General Education Core Curriculum (IAI GECC). The IAI GECC is a set of general education courses that meets lower-division general education requirements at more than 100 public and private two-year and four-year colleges and universities in Illinois. Some out-oaf-state institutions also accept the IAI GECC as meeting their general education requirements. 


IAI GECC/Sandburg courses

Why Transfer in Illinois 

Take Selected Courses Required by your Transfer School

This option is useful when you have a specialized major, choose a non-IAI participating school, or plan to transfer beyond Illinois. Be sure to work closely with your advisor and transfer school. 

Transfer Guides & Equivalencies

Transferology - Transferology is a nationwide network designed to help students explore their college transfer options. Our goal is to save students time and money by providing a quick, intuitive way of getting their college transfer credit questions answered.

Transferring to Carl Sandburg College

Carl Sandburg College welcomes students from other colleges and universities. Check our admission information

Reverse Transfer 

Students who transfer to a 4-year college or university prior to graduating, may consider the reverse transfer option to obtain their degree. Students who have completed at least 15 credit hours towards a degree may transfer credits from other colleges or universities to meet Sandburg degree requirements. Once all degree requirements are met confirmed by our Registrar, the degree will be awarded.

For more information about reverse transfer, please contact Angela Snow at or call 309.341.5233.