students on campus tour

Admission Information

Admission as a regular student in a program of study is available to in-district, out-of-district, out-of-state students and international students who:  

  • Are secondary/high school graduates recognized by a state-accredited provider or home school graduates. Note, a “certificate of attendance” does not constitute high school graduation nor is the certificate deemed equivalent to high school completion; 
  • Have a high school equivalency certificate recognized by a state-accredited provider within any of the 50 states or an equivalent secondary education approved by the college; 
  • Are non-graduates 18 years of age or older; 
  • Are 16 or 17 years of age and has severed connection with a secondary school, and provide a letter documenting this status from the chief executive officer of the school in which the student has legal residence
  • Meet the additional international student admissions requirements to be eligible for an F-1 Visa.

Admission for High School Dual-Enrolled Students 

Students currently enrolled in a secondary school/high school may be accepted as a regular student with approval from the secondary school/high school. A student may enroll in college classes, and earn both college and high school credit.  

Admission for Students Under the Age of 16  

Individuals under the age of 16 may be admitted as a Conditional Student after an "Admission Request for a Student Under the Age of 16" form is approved. Certain classes may require a background check, specific placement test scores, and/or high school diploma or High School Equivalency.   

Ability to Benefit  

Students who met the federal "ability to benefit" guidelines prior to 2012, may be admitted without a high school diploma, or high school equivalency, who provide documentation they passed an approved "ability to benefit test" with qualifying scores.    


  • Regular Student: Regular students are defined as applicants who are enrolled in a program of study.
  • Conditional Student: Conditional students are defined as applicants who do not meet any of the above criteria or are non-degree seeking. Conditional students are not eligible to receive federal aid, veteran’s benefits or graduate from a program.  
  • Non-credit/Continuing Education: Students are eligible to enroll in non-credit courses and programs as long as they are able to benefit from the educational experience and meet specific course pre-requisites.

Advanced Placement Guide

  • The Advanced Placement (AP) Guide provides information on AP exam scores accepted as credit at Sandburg.

Credit Granting Guide

  • The Credit Granting Guide provides students with an index of various scores regarding proficiency exams, College Level Examination Program (CLEP), International Baccalaureate (IB) and others.

Transfer Guide 

  • The Transfer Guide provides a list of common colleges and universities Sandburg students transfer to with information about course equivalencies.  


Contact Information

  • Records and Registration Office
    Location: Main Campus, E100
    Phone: 309.341.5260