Student Complaint Procedures

Carl Sandburg College supports the rights of students to bring forth complaints and is committed to resolving these matters in a fair and timely manner. This applies to all enrolled students in matters relating to other students, faculty, administrators and staff at all Sandburg locations.

Should the student have a concern or a complaint — an issue believed to have an adverse effect upon the student, someone else or a group of students — the student should first work to address that problem informally by bringing the issue to the department most directly connected to the complaint.

Special guidance is outlined below regarding complaints based on discrimination or sexual harassment.


Students have the right to ask to have records corrected that they believe are inaccurate, misleading or in violation of their privacy rights. View the procedures to request correction of academic records.


Concerns regarding student discipline are handled under disciplinary due process.


The internal grievance procedure provides prompt, equitable and confidential resolution of complaints alleging discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or status in any group protected by applicable federal and state laws.

Complaints emerging from the Main Campus, the Branch Campus or any other operation of the college should be addressed to:

Michelle Johnson
Interim Vice President of Human Resources
2400 Tom L. Wilson Blvd
Galesburg, IL 61401

Should the person against whom the complaint is directed be the individual listed above, the case shall be handled by the other institutional contact. Please refer to the  Discrimination Grievance Policy and Form for more information.


Information regarding how to report an incident related to Title IX, including but not limited to dating violence, domestic violence, sexual assault and other gender-based offenses, please refer to the Title IX webpage.


Students taking online classes at Carl Sandburg College, who are from out-of-state, should attempt to resolve any issues or complaints with Sandburg first. If, after following the college's Framework for Addressing Student Concerns, Grievances and Discrimination, an issue cannot be resolved internally, you may file a complaint about Carl Sandburg College with your state by referring to the following state agencies. This complies with the federal Department of Education's State Authorization regulations.

Illinois participates in the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA). Students from SARA states may file a complaint with the Illinois Community College Board


A student who has a concern with a staff member or college department is encouraged to attempt to resolve the complaint in an informal manner with the individual, department or immediate supervisor. 

If a resolution is not reached, complaints should be directed to the immediate supervisor or dean of the person against whom the complaint is directed. If no resolution is reached at this level, the student may submit a formal written complaint to the proper vice president. All decisions, notification of decisions and reasons for decisions shall be in writing.

This procedure shall not apply to complaints filed on the basis of discrimination and/or sexual harassment.

The formal written complaint should be addressed to one of the following administrators:

Vice President of Academic Services                        Vice President of Student Services
2400 Tom L. Wilson Blvd                                            2400 Tom L. Wilson Blvd
Galesburg, IL 61401                                                    Galesburg, IL 61401


Students or consumers who have a complaint should first try to resolve their issue through their institution's formal complaint procedures. If the issue is not resolved through this process, students may file a formal complaint with the Illinois Community College Board (ICCB).

ICCB may then contact the institution on the student's behalf. If you are an out-of-state student taking an online class and you have a complaint that has not been resolved through the college's grievance procedures, you may file a complaint with the state in which you reside; Student Complaint Information by State. You may also contact the Illinois Community College Board when seeking a resolution.

The Higher Learning Commission (HLC) is an independent body responsible for the accreditation of programs offered by ICC. HLC relies on constant contact with the college to ensure quality higher learning. Complaints may be filed with the  Higher Learning Commission online.

Student Complaints
Illinois Community College Board
401 E. Capitol Avenue
Springfield, IL 62701