What qualifications/credentials do counselors have?

All of our counselors have master’s degrees and have many years of experience counseling students at Sandburg.


What is the difference between a counselor and an academic advisor?

A counselor has a master’s degree and professionally trained in counseling. Counselors also work with faculty and staff as consultants and provide all services of academic advisors. 

An academic advisor is a professional staff member trained to assist students with academic planning. Advisors make referrals for various student concerns to counselors or other campus services.


Is counseling only for people who have emotional problems?

No, counseling can also assist with adjusting to new circumstances or a new culture, building self-esteem, choosing a career path, coping with grief, learning new communication skills, learning stress management, overcoming anxiety, resolving conflict with a teacher, friend or relative, and more. 


Are counseling sessions confidential?

Records of counseling sessions never become part of a student’s transcript or academic and education records. 

We understand that counseling often involves the disclosure of sensitive, personal information. Your counseling information is confidential. No information about who is receiving counseling or the nature of their visits is released without the written permission of the person. Exceptions to this include subpoena, in cases of current child abuse, or if there is an expressed intent to harm one’s self or another person. 


Contact us

Student Services
Building E100, Galesburg campus