Reasons Why Your Aid May Be Adjusted

Attendance "No Show You Go" Policy

Sandburg has a mandatory attendance policy for all classes. If a student does not show in class at least once during the first four days of the semester, the student will be dropped from the course. Courses less than 16 weeks require attendance during the 100% refund period of the course. For complete details, No Show policy details.


Complete Withdrawal

Before you completely withdraw from all of your classes, you need to consider the items listed below to determine any ramifications to your academic record, financial aid, and student account. Please feel free to print this screen, and use it as a checklist once you have made your decision to completely withdraw from your courses.

If you have questions about any of the items listed below, please visit Student Services for guidance and information.


Academic Record

Notation on the Transcript

Withdrawing from your course may cause a "W" grade notation to appear on your transcript. This grade does not affect your GPA but will affect your completion rate for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).


Financial Aid Return

Withdrawing from all courses may result in a return of financial aid to the Federal Government. This includes any federal grants and loans. When a financial aid return is initiated, a balance on your account may occur, and you may owe money. Visit the Financial Aid Office to discuss your plans and options.


Loan Deferment

If you drop below 6 credit hours of enrollment you will initiate your 6 month grace period for all loans borrowed.



Withdrawing from courses may cause you to fail the completion rate for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). You will either 1) receive a warning letter at the end of the semester and be placed on financial aid warning for SAP, or 2) you will be put on dismissal and must file an SAP appeal to try to be reinstated for financial aid.


Cancel Future Financial Aid

If you withdraw from all classes and plan to attend another college or university for a subsequent term, then notify the Financial Aid Office to cancel your future financial aid. Failure to cancel your aid at Carl Sandburg College may prevent you from receiving aid at another institution.


Correction to FAFSA

If you withdraw from all classes and plan to attend another college or university for a subsequent term, you need to make a correction to your FAFSA and list the new school on your FAFSA form. This action will allow your future school to receive your FAFSA information and begin packaging you with aid. Financial aid does not automatically transfer from one institution to another.